hobbygamers Forum Index

FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups  - Register  - Profile  - Log in to check your private messages  - Log in
Bj's fighter Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hobbygamers Forum Index > Dungeons and Dragons
View previous topic :: View next topic  

BJ
He Who Founds Wyrmlings

Post Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Bj's fighter Reply with quote
Here's a draft of the fighter that I want to see. Will add in more talent trees as I go. Tell me what you think of it so far. Cool

The Fighter
HD:d10
Class Skills: As PHB.
Code:

Level            Fort   Ref   Will        Special
1st               +2    +0    +0        Bonus Feat, Archetype
2nd               +3    +0    +0        Bonus Feat
3rd               +3    +1    +1
4th               +4    +1    +1        Bonus Feat
5th               +4    +1    +1        Talent
6th               +5    +2    +2        Bonus Feat
7th               +5    +2    +2        Talent
8th               +6    +2    +2        Bonus Feat
9th               +6    +3    +3        Talent
10th              +7    +3    +3        Bonus Feat
11th              +7    +3    +3        Talent
12th              +8    +4    +4        Bonus Feat
13th              +8    +4    +4        Talent
14th              +9    +4    +4        Bonus Feat
15th              +9    +5    +5        Talent
16th              +10   +5    +5        Bonus Feat
17th              +10   +5    +5        Talent
18th              +11   +6    +6        Bonus Feat
19th              +11   +6    +6        Talent
20th              +12   +6    +6        Bonus Feat, Master of Many Feats

ARCHETYPES
A Fighter begins play with a chosen archetype. This represents the Fighter’s background and training prior to adventuring. If the Fighter does not fit into any of the archetypes presented here, player and DM can arrange an archetype to cater to the situation.

• Academic: You have been formally trained in the arts of warfare and battle. You have either been tutored closely by a martial master, or you may hail from a military background. Add Martial Lore and Knowledge (history) to your list of Fighter class skills.
• Archer: You prefer to wage your battles over long ranges rather than wade into the heat of melee. Your like bows, guns, crossbows, or any weapon that does not require you to get close to the enemy. Add Concentration and Spot to your list of Fighter class skills.
• Brawler: You are most comfortable when you are fighting in close quarters, standing toe-to-toe with your foe. You like swords, axes, hammers, even your own fists, or any weapon that is lethal in close combat. Add Bluff and Tumble to your list of Fighter class skills.
• Warrior: You are a veritable tank of might, plowing through your enemies with your sheer strength and taking the blows with sheer fortitude. You determine victory by who is left standing, and you have trained accordingly, mastering both armor and shield to defend your person. Add Balance and Concentration to your list of Fighter class skills.
• Grappler: You feel the rush of power when you force your foe to submit, crushing his will through sheer strength. You are at home at very close quarters, preferring to grapple your enemy and crush the life from their bodies. Add Balance and Escape Artist to your list of Fighter class skills.
• Cavalier: They say you were born upon the back of a gallant steed, and you have proven them right. You are Death and Destruction personified when seated upon your mount. Add Balance and Survival to your list of Fighter class skills.

TALENT TREES

Starting at 5th level and at every odd-numbered level after that, the Fighter may choose one of the talents presented below. Just as with feats, she must meet the pre-requisites of the talent to learn it.

While talents appear to be like feats, they are distinct in that, once per day, the Fighter can spend one hour to change the talent trees he has chosen (a Fighter who has taken a Fighter feat instead of a talent cannot change it, but see Master of Many Feats, below). She must also meet the pre-requisites of the new talent to be able to take it. If the talent is based on a specific equipment or equipment type, she must have the equipment at hand during the hour.

A fighter can also choose a fighter feat in place of a talent.

Martial Prowess
Talents from the Martial Prowess tree represent both a broader and a deeper understanding of the complex art of combat. A fighter taking talents from this tree bear an edge over their contemporaries in that they can perform more complex maneuvers that others can only dream of.

•Martial Adept
**Pre-requisites: Martial Lore 8 ranks, Martial Study feat.
**Benefit: Your Fighter levels now count as full Initiator levels when using or qualifying for maneuvers.

•Martial Recovery
**Pre-requisites: Martial Adept talent
**Benefit: You can recover one expended maneuver by concentrating as a full-round action.

• Martial Study
**Pre-requisites: Martial Adept talent
**Benefit: As the feat of the same name, except as noted here. This talent may be taken multiple times, choosing a new maneuver each time. Taking this talent does not count towards the limit of the feat.

•Martial Prowess
**Pre-requisites: Base attack bonus +12, Martial Adept talent, Martial Recovery talent.
**Benefit: By studying your opponent for at least two, consecutive rounds, you gain a +2 bonus to your attack rolls, a +2 bonus on your weapon damage rolls, and a +2 dodge bonus to your AC against that opponent for a number of rounds equal to your Initiator level. You cannot use this ability if you have been distracted during your observation, or if you have performed an action that may impede observation (as determined by the DM).

Weapon Mastery
Talents from the Weapon Mastery tree represent the desire and the passion to bring the greatest potential out of any weapon. A fighter taking talents from this tree bear an edge over their contemporaries in that they are far deadlier with the use of their weapons.

•Expanded Weapon Training
**Pre-requisite: Proficiency with the chosen weapon.
**Benefit: Choose one weapon with which you are proficient. All your weapon-related feats now apply to the chosen weapon, even if the feat or ability applies to another weapon.
**Special: A fighter can take this talent multiple times, choosing a different weapon each time.

•Improved Weapon Focus
**Pre-requisites: Expanded Weapon Training talent, Weapon Focus (any weapon).
**Benefit: The bonus to attack rolls granted by the following feats are doubled: Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Focus, Epic Weapon Focus.

•Improved Weapon Specialization
**Pre-requisites: Expanded Weapon Training talent, Improved Weapon Focus talent, Weapon Focus (any weapon), Weapon Specialization (any weapon).
**Benefit: The bonus to weapon damage rolls granted by the following feats are doubled: Weapon Specialization, Greater Weapon Specialization, Epic Weapon Specialization.

•Lethal Weapon
**Pre-requisites: Expanded Weapon Training talent, Improved Critical (any weapon).
**Benefit: The critical multiplier for the weapon with which you have the Improved Critical feat increases by one (x2 becomes x3, x3 becomes x4, and so on).

•Lethal Strike
**Pre-requisites: Expanded Weapon Training talent, Lethal Weapon talent, Improved Critical (any weapon).
**Benefit: The critical threat range of the weapon for which you have the Improved Critical feat is tripled (19-20 becomes 15-20, 18-20 becomes 12-20, and so on). This effect overlaps (does not stack with) the Improved Critical feat, the Keen weapon property, the keen edge spell or similar effects.

•Superior Weapon Focus
**Pre-requisites: Expanded Weapon Training talent, Improved Weapon Focus talent, Improved Weapon Specialization talent.
**Benefit: The bonus to attack rolls granted by the following feat are tripled: Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Focus, Epic Weapon Focus. This effect overlaps (does not stack with) the Improved Weapon Focus talent.

•Superior Weapon Specialization
**Pre-requisites: Expanded Weapon Training talent, Improved Weapon Focus talent, Improved Weapon Specialization talent, Superior Weapon Focus talent.
**Benefit: The bonus to weapon damage rolls granted by the following feats are doubled: Weapon Specialization, Greater Weapon Specialization, Epic Weapon Specialization. This effect overlaps (does not stack with) the Improved Weapon Specialization talent.

Armor Mastery
Talents from the Armor Mastery tree represent the rigid discipline in combat that shows how a good defense can be your deadliest weapon. A fighter taking talents from this tree bear an edge over their contemporaries in that they can take the blows better and thus survive the frontlines longer.

•Armor Focus
**Pre-requisites: Proficiency with the chosen armor type.
**Benefit: Choose one armor type with which you are proficient (light, medium, or heavy). When wearing armor of the chosen type, its armor bonus is increased by +1.
**Special: A fighter can take this talent multiple times, choosing a different armor type each time.

•Armored Mobility
**Pre-requisite: Armor Focus talent with the chosen armor type
**Benefit: When wearing armor for which type you have the Armor Focus talent, its maximum Dexterity bonus to AC is increased by +2.
**Special: A fighter can take this talent multiple times. The effects stack.

•Greater Armor Focus
**Pre-requisites: Armor Focus talent with the chosen armor type, Armor Specialization (PHB2)
**Benefit: When wearing armor for which type you have the Armor Focus talent, its armor bonus is increased by +2. This effect overlaps (does not stack with) the Armor Focus talent.
**Special: A fighter can take this talent multiple times, choosing a different armor type each time.

•Greater Armor Specialization
**Pre-requisites: Greater Armor Focus talent with the chosen armor type, Armor Specialization.
**Benefit: The damage reduction granted by the Armor Specialization feat for the chosen armor type for which you have the Armor Focus and the Greater Armor Focus talents increases to 4/-.

•Greater Armored Mobility Designer note. I want to change the name of this talent. Armor Ward? It looks a lot like shield ward from PHB2 iirc.
**Pre-requisites: Greater Armor Focus talent with the chosen armor type, Armored Mobility with the chosen armor type, base attack bonus +16.
**Benefit: Choose one type of armor for which you have the Greater Armor Focus and Armored Mobility talents. When wearing an armor of the chosen type, you can add its base armor bonus (not including magical enhancements and other bonuses granted by feats and/or abilities) to your touch AC.

Fighter Feat: A fighter can choose a fighter feat for which he qualifies for instead of choosing a talent. he gains that feat as a bonus feat.

Master of Many Feats: A 20th level fighter may spend a day in training to change his fighter feats. He may only change the feats that he has taken as either a fighter bonus feat or a talent replacement, and he must still meet the pre-requisites of the new set of feats.

If any of a fighter's regular feats require a fighter feat, and had these requirements lost by virtue of this ability, the feat ceases to function until the requirement can be somehow restored. Similarly, Prestige Class Abilities cease to function if the requirements are somehow lost by this ability.

Last edited by BJ on Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:10 pm; edited 7 times in total

Xtian
Goderator

Post Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
First, what are the problems your fighter version attempts to fix?
Second, epic progression?

That's it for now. Very Happy I'll add later. Probably after you replied on my first question.
"Foolish girl! I am a Druid, I have special abilities more powerful than your entire class!"

BJ
He Who Founds Wyrmlings

Post Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've decided to leave the epic Progression alone. It's up to the DM. Very Happy
As I've said on the other thread, I want to make fighter20 a viable choice. Most players only take at most 2-4 levels of fighter, and that's what I found disturbing.

If you notice, i haven't changed the fighter much, just added in some stuff (talents). I didn't want to alienate the PHB holders. Methinks this fighter can be adapted with little to no problem.

Hopefully, with the talent trees, fighters would be viable again. The Weapon mastery Talent tree makes him (hopefully) the character with the highest TH (to hit) around. Not to mention damage potential.

As for the martial Adept talent tree... Well, nine swords goodness. Nuff said.

And I promise more Talent Trees soon.

Xtian
Goderator

Post Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
I've decided to leave the epic Progression alone. It's up to the DM

Then it will still suck at epic.
Talent trees do not have a pattern so it will not extend at epic.
It will not be very different from RAW fighter: bonus feat every 2 levels.

Quote:
As I've said on the other thread, I want to make fighter20 a viable choice. Most players only take at most 2-4 levels of fighter, and that's what I found disturbing.

number 1: Of course, all authors of their respective fighter fixes want their fighter to be a viable choice. Razz
number 2: Fighter class is viable. At least for me who I can say a fighter class veteran. Aside from my sorcerer hype last semester, all my other characters have at least four-six levels of fighters before entering a prestige class. Fighters are viable. Fighter20 is a maybe for me. If the solution is you wanto to make fighter20 viable, then the problem is you do not find fighter 20 viable.

So I am asking it again, what are the problems you are trying to fix?
This is important so I and other posters will know your specific objectives and whether or not you have done the objectives.

It is very much accepted that you may give a fighter bonus feat every level and still be underpowered. It is in the quality of the feats, and not the number. For example, Robilar's gambit is overpowered in some occassions. And the talent trees are nothing more than gloried fighter feat chains. You may rename the talent trees into feats and nothing much changes, except for more bonus feats.

Quote:
Martial Prowess talent tree:

What's the point? Warblade does this much better, with bonus feats and class features.

Quote:
Weapon Mastery Talent Tree:

Most common fighter fix. Increasing to hit, damage, critical range, and critical multiplier.

I do not think it will be greatly gamebreaking if starting a level 5 and above, the fighter gains the talent tree automatically.

No changes in class skills? A bodyguard fighter should have spot and listen. A commander should have diplomacy and maybe profession(siege engineer). A pirate should have balance, and maybe tumble, but no ride.

Generally, your fighter is a RAW fighter with more bonus feats. I do not know if this is your intention or not. Can still be improved. And please answer the question: what are the problems you are trying to fix?
"Foolish girl! I am a Druid, I have special abilities more powerful than your entire class!"

BJ
He Who Founds Wyrmlings

Post Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay.

As Xtian pointed out, my version is not that different from RAW fighter. That was intentional. I didn't want to make my own fighter. I want to improve on what is already there. The other fixes I've seen online, i've noticed, are very different from the fighter that I know and love. As such, I'm not even sure it's fighter anymore. It's a new class.

Now I'm not saying they're improvements suck. On the contrary, I think they are great (especially the scaleability of the Weapon Focus tree). It's just that, rather than give the fighter automatic scaleability (which sort of forces the fighter to take the Weapon Focus Tree), I saw fit to make it part of the available talent trees. To give the fighter more options

Problem #1, then, is that the fighter lacks versatility. And it's supposed to. The talent trees provide that, in my opinion.

Quote:
It is very much accepted that you may give a fighter bonus feat every level and still be underpowered.

Agreed. Now I know that from Xtian's PoV, the Talent Trees are nothing more than glorified fighter feat chains. And I wholeheartedly agree. Glorified, because they're fighter only.

But if I call them feats, then suddenly someone with virtual fighter levels (aka Warblade) can take them too. That's why I didn't refer to them as feats. As talents, only someone with actual devotion to the fighter class can access them, because:

Problem #2: Fighters should be the best at fighting. Therefore, he must be able to do stuff that only he can.

Quote:
Quote:

Martial Prowess talent tree:

What's the point? Warblade does this much better, with bonus feats and class features.

The martial prowess talent tree makes him do stuff that the Warblade can. I admit, the Warblade can still do this better. But the Warblade can take the Weapon Focus Tree, too. It's just that the fighter, with more bonus feats, can access them easier. Whereas the Warblade who devotes himself to Weapon Focus practically has no other feats left.

Give and take. Warblade can shadow fighters Weapon Focus, Fighters can shadow martial Prowess.

Besides, Warblades don't have access to shadow hand. Cool

I want to refrain from changing the fighter too much. And at epic, I agree, it is just the Raw fighter yet again. 'coz I don't think epic fighter sucks. (and please refrain from giving the fighter one-on-one matchups with other core classes. The ability to beat the other classes is not the issue here, rather, the playability of a fighter as part of a DnD party). But if the DM wants to, the talent progression does have a pattern. it's just not a simple arithmetic progression, but the pattern is there.

So, that's basically it. Versatility and Specialization, without alienating from the PHB too much.

I will look into the class skills. I agree, it must be changed somewhat.

Xtian
Goderator

Post Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
As Xtian pointed out, my version is not that different from RAW fighter. That was intentional. I didn't want to make my own fighter. I want to improve on what is already there. The other fixes I've seen online, i've noticed, are very different from the fighter that I know and love. As such, I'm not even sure it's fighter anymore. It's a new class.

Ok. The WotC's revised fighter is called Warblade. Razz

Quote:
Problem #1, then, is that the fighter lacks versatility.

Your fighter fix suffers the same problem as the RAW fighter: Customizable but not versatile.

Quote:
But if I call them feats, then suddenly someone with virtual fighter levels (aka Warblade) can take them too. That's why I didn't refer to them as feats. As talents, only someone with actual devotion to the fighter class can access them, because:

Fighter and warblade are not that very different from each other. Hell, warblade almost stole fighter's flavor text. A warblade should also learn the talent trees as you fighter can learn some maneuvers.

Quote:
Problem #2: Fighters should be the best at fighting. Therefore, he must be able to do stuff that only he can.

Twisted Evil
Let me rephrase that.:
Warblade is the best at fighting. Therefore, he can do stuff that fighter can't.

More consistent huh? Warblade = WotC's fighter fix. Razz
On topic, the litmus test of a fighter fix is that he should be a better fighter than a fully-buffed combat cleric or druid.

Quote:
And at epic, I agree, it is just the Raw fighter yet again. 'coz I don't think epic fighter sucks.

They suck hard ... especially that there are only few epic fighter feats that can really be considered epic.

Quote:
and please refrain from giving the fighter one-on-one matchups with other core classes.

Why do one-on-one matchups when you can just look at the stat sheet and tell who will win. Twisted Evil

The point of matchups is valid but the way is done can be not reliable. There are many variables that can make it invalid and unreliable.

And one way of establishing proper Challenge Rating is by playtesting. One on one fight is a simpler way of putting it together. How can a fighter 20 be a CR 20 if only few resources of the party can eliminate him? Duels are a valid and reliable as long as it is done right.

Quote:
rather, the playability of a fighter as part of a DnD party

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Fighter is playable. No one claimed that fighter is not playable, maybe other than you.

Quote:
But if the DM wants to, the talent progression does have a pattern. it's just not a simple arithmetic progression, but the pattern is there.

The epic tree is optional. The pattern is there but hardly repeated pattern as written in DMG (every 2/3/4 levels).

The main reason that many fighter fixes are very different from the RAW fighter is that the RAW fighter problem itself is the problem. They changed the chassis. They gave it class features aside from bonus feats. Radical changes are wha you need if you want radical effects.

You may want to throw a couple of your epic level fighters against us on your next epic game. Use races with no racial HD or LA.

Xtian
Goderator

Post Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
With my sleepy mind, I think that playtesting your fighter fix is the best idea. We must make a criteria as to how we are going to grade the fixes. This will also be true with other fixes.

Wink

A level 20 fighter should cost a party of level 20 arcanist, healer, fighter, and skill monkey 20-25% percent of their resources.

To make it simpler, SRD/Core only. We can always do this since most of your players have access in this boards. I, for example, can take any role in the party.

BJ
He Who Founds Wyrmlings

Post Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe I will. Razz
But it's not done yet; we'll see. give me more time to post in more talent trees.

In any case, After I finish this, my fighter mod replaces PHB fighter in all my campaigns. Cool

Quote:
The main reason that many fighter fixes are very different from the RAW fighter is that the RAW fighter problem itself is the problem. They changed the chassis. They gave it class features aside from bonus feats. Radical changes are wha you need if you want radical effects.

I don't want radical changes, though.So my fighter, while increasing in power slightly, will still be not as strong. Why bother? Coz' I really think fighters are underpowered. I just upped it slightly. To be a viable choice. In my mind.

Hehe.

BJ
He Who Founds Wyrmlings

Post Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Ok. The WotC's revised fighter is called Warblade. :Razz:

Yup. I agree.

BJ
He Who Founds Wyrmlings

Post Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Added: Armor Focus Talent tree
Added: fighter feats as talents

Last edited by BJ on Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pitz-Ikko
D' Original Henio

Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
BJ wrote:
*Greater Critical
Pre-requisite: BaB+16, Sharper Edge with the weapon
Benefit: The chosen weapon's threat range triples. This effect overlaps (does not stack with) the Improved Critical Feat.

I just got to read this. Anybody realize the *true* potential of this blasted feat? Think scimitar or falchion. 18-20 normal threat range. 12-20 tripled threat range. Enchanted. Flaming burst, icy burst, any enchantment that does an effect with a critical hit. And - ahem - brilliant energy... Twisted EvilTwisted EvilTwisted Evil

Now, if this feat is good, I'm sure the DM won't have any more qualms about not stacking a similar feat with the Keen weapon property. (Imagine a QUADRUPLED threat range! 9-20!)

Xtian
Goderator

Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pitz-Ikko wrote:
BJ wrote:
*Greater Critical
Pre-requisite: BaB+16, Sharper Edge with the weapon
Benefit: The chosen weapon's threat range triples. This effect overlaps (does not stack with) the Improved Critical Feat.

I just got to read this. Anybody realize the *true* potential of this blasted feat? Think scimitar or falchion. 18-20 normal threat range. 12-20 tripled threat range. Enchanted. Flaming burst, icy burst, any enchantment that does an effect with a critical hit. And - ahem - brilliant energy... Twisted EvilTwisted EvilTwisted Evil

Now, if this feat is good, I'm sure the DM won't have any more qualms about not stacking a similar feat with the Keen weapon property. (Imagine a QUADRUPLED threat range! 9-20!)

Twisted Evil
It gets better! Weapon Master adds two to threat range.
And oh, if the dm won't let it stack with keen, Disciple of Dispater should do the trick! Very Happy At eight level, the threat range triples.
18-20 Base critical
triple from Greater Critical
triple from Disciple of Dispater
+2 from Weapon Master
=4-20 critical threat range if my computation is right.

But you should be epic to pull this out though. Twisted Evil

supertotoy
Old Dragon

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Now how about the Bladed Gauntlet? 17-20/x2 (becomes x3 with Sharper Edge) critical threat range --- the best out there. Imagine tripling it? That's 9-20 threat range! The +2 from Weapons Master makes it 7-20. Twisted Evil Now applying Disciple of Dispater PrC (is there a 3.5 version of this?)... lemme see... that would make all of your attacks critical, provided they hit. But what's the point of this anyway?? I'd say I'd not take the WM, apply DoD, and voila!

supertotoy
Old Dragon

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The only problem with a fighter with lots of crits is when you encounter constructs and very strong undead... With pitz's suggestion of having brilliant energy enchantment on your weapon makes it the worst matchup for the fighter.

Revan
Sith'ari, Chosen Heart of the Force

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
These days, crits vs. undead and constructs are no longer a problem. For a mere 10,000gp, one can acquire a Truedeath crystal augmentation for your weapon, allowing you to strike as if you had ghost touch, dealing extra damage against undead, and allowing you to deal crits and sneak attack. A similar item worth 6,000gp if I remember correctly is called the Demolition crystal, allowing adamantine strikes, extra damage, and crits and or sneak attacks vs. constructs.

Shameless plug for the Magic Item Compendium! Laughing

BJ
He Who Founds Wyrmlings

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Edit: Changed talent progression. Many were disturbed by the pattern I gave the talents, so maybe something that's easier to track in epic will suffice.

Added: Talent Customization, Master of Many Feats Ability. The explanation is still wonky (I'll edit ASAP), but I hope you guys get the general idea.

Maybe I should rename the talents. Hmmm....

As always, criticisms are welcome. Very Happy

supertotoy
Old Dragon

Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Revan
Oh yes... I remember now... Curse ye WoTC! Curse ye magic item compendium! Curse all ye spells! But wait, I'm a cleric... Well, maybe not... Laughing

erwin
Master of None

Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:

Twisted Evil
It gets better! Weapon Master adds two to threat range.
And oh, if the dm won't let it stack with keen, Disciple of Dispater should do the trick! Very Happy At eight level, the threat range triples.
18-20 Base critical
triple from Greater Critical
triple from Disciple of Dispater
+2 from Weapon Master
=4-20 critical threat range if my computation is right.

FTW!! Shocked

as long as you hit, you crit! Very Happy

BJ
He Who Founds Wyrmlings

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Added Archetypes. Asalways, it's still very messy.

Gah, i should clean up my work...

But I'm too busy right now... Heh... Sad

Xtian
Goderator

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Has this seen playtesT?

erwin
Master of None

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Will you use play test this on your new campaign (march to alazlam) or will you use the standard fighter?

BJ
He Who Founds Wyrmlings

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It still needs a lot of tweaking
but hey, go for playtest.

Xtian
Goderator

Post Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmmmm... this faytah is available....

erwin
Master of None

Post Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
He spends an hour practicing with the said Breastplate.

Somehow that doesn't sounds right..

Pitz-Ikko
D' Original Henio

Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
BJ wrote:
*Academic: This fighter has been formally trained in the Arts of War. Choose this archetype if the fighter had a mentor that taught him some hidden sword technique, or if he hails from military training. Add Martial Lore and Knowledge (History) to his list of fighter class skills.
*Archer: You like bows, guns, crossbows, or any weapon that doesn't require you to get close to the enemy. Add Listen,Spot to your list of fighter class skills.
*Mercenary: You work for gold. Nuff said. Add all Profession skills to your fighter class skills.

Knowledge (tactics) and/or Knowledge (war) could also be good class skills for an Academic Fighter.

Mercenary doesn't quite fit in with the others, although it won't hurt to keep it there. Maybe you should include a close-quarters focus to counteract the Archer archetype:

Quote:
Brawler: You are comfortable with fighting in close quarters, and aren't afraid to stand toe-to-toe with your enemy. Add Bluff and Tumble to your list of Fighter class skills.

BJ
He Who Founds Wyrmlings

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Added Brawler to the list of Archetypes, courtesy of Pitz.
Watch out for more edits soon! Very Happy

BJ
He Who Founds Wyrmlings

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pitz-Ikko wrote:
Knowledge (tactics) and/or Knowledge (war) could also be good class skills for an Academic Fighter.

For simplicity, I subsumed these skills into the role of the Martial Lore and Profession (soldier) Skills, respectively.

erwin
Master of None

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'll be using this fighter in March of Alazlam..

Somehow the Archer archetype sounds improper. How about sentry guards/ body guards? They're good at spot and listen, but they aren't necessarily archers..

And another thing, Mercenary seems off. I mean that you can be a mercenary brawler, right? I think you should just add Profession in the fighter class skills..

BJ
He Who Founds Wyrmlings

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
erwin wrote:
Somehow the Archer archetype sounds improper. How about sentry guards/ body guards? They're good at spot and listen, but they aren't necessarily archers..

The reasoning is flawed. Why choose archer if you want to be a sentry/body guard? The Archetypes are not complete, and I advice you to give me a new archetype idea that best describes your character. If it works, I'll include it in. Remember what I wrote in the Archetype description,

BJ wrote:
He gains benefits depending on the Archetype chosen. DM's are encouraged to coordinate with players, creating new Archetypes when necessary.

Next,

erwin wrote:
And another thing, Mercenary seems off. I mean that you can be a mercenary brawler, right? I think you should just add Profession in the fighter class skills..

Again, a Brawler that occasionally works for gold is a Brawler, while a Mercenary who brawls as a fighting style is a mercenary. The difference is, the mercenary works for gold. He is used to hiring himself out, thus the Profession skills. (Mechanically, he can even work off-camera, so to speak. He just has to roll.) The brawler could still get a "job" in game as a merc, being paid by the employer to do a specific in-game task. but he's not as proficient at just finding small nondescript jobs that the profession skill represents.

I could remove the merc archetype, but I need better reasons. As for adding profession to the fighter class skills.... no.

Xtian
Goderator

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Historically speaking, there are many kinds of merceneries.
Merchants employed mercenaries as bodyguards.
Kings hired merceneries to supplement their army. The merceneries could be archers, spearmen, skirmishers, cavalries, etc.

Mercenary is more on character background, not a class itself.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hobbygamers Forum Index > Dungeons and Dragons
Page 1 of 2
  Goto page 1, 2  Next  All times are GMT + 8 Hours

Jump to: